McAfee Stinger is a standalone energy made use of to identify and get rid of specific viruses. It’& rsquo; s not a substitute for full anti-viruses security, but a specialized tool to aid administrators as well as individuals when taking care of contaminated system. Stinger makes use of next-generation scan innovation, including rootkit scanning, and also scan efficiency optimizations. It identifies and removes dangers identified under the „” Danger Checklist”” choice under Advanced menu alternatives in the Stinger application.
McAfee Stinger now spots and gets rid of GameOver Zeus and CryptoLocker.
Exactly how do you use Stinger?
- Download the current version of Stinger.
- When prompted, choose to save the documents to a hassle-free location on your hard disk, such as your Desktop computer folder.
- When the download is total, browse to the folder which contains the downloaded and install Stinger file, as well as run it.
- The Stinger interface will certainly be displayed.
- By default, Stinger scans for running processes, loaded modules, computer registry, WMI and also directory site places recognized to be used by malware on a device to keep check times very little. If required, click the „” Tailor my scan”” web link to include extra drives/directories to your check.
- Stinger has the capacity to scan targets of Rootkits, which is not made it possible for by default.
- Click the Scan button to start checking the specified drives/directories.
- By default, Stinger will fix any type of contaminated files it discovers.
- Stinger leverages GTI Documents Track record and runs network heuristics at Medium level by default. If you pick „” High”” or „” Very High,”” McAfee Labs advises that you establish the „” On danger discovery”” activity to „” Record”” only for the initial scan.
To learn more concerning GTI Data Online reputation see the following KB articles
KB 53735 – Frequently Asked Questions for Worldwide Danger Intelligence Documents Online Reputation
KB 60224 – Just how to validate that GTI Documents Track record is mounted properly
KB 65525 – Recognition of generically detected malware (Worldwide Hazard Knowledge discoveries)
At site macafee stinger download from Our Articles
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I recognize I have a virus, but Stinger did not identify one. Why is this?
A: Stinger is not an alternative to a full anti-virus scanner. It is just created to spot and also remove particular dangers.
Q: Stinger found an infection that it couldn'’ t fixing. Why is this? A: This is more than likely because of Windows System Bring back capability having a lock on the contaminated file. Windows/XP/Vista/ 7 users ought to disable system restore prior to scanning.
Q: Where is the scan log saved and exactly how can I view them?
A: By default the log data is saved from where Stinger.exe is run. Within Stinger, browse to the log TAB as well as the logs are shown as list with time stamp, clicking the log data name opens the documents in the HTML layout.
Q: Where are the Quarantine files stored?
A: The quarantine files are stored under C: \ Quarantine \ Stinger.
Q: What is the „” Risk List”” option under Advanced menu used for?
A: The Hazard Listing supplies a listing of malware that Stinger is set up to spot. This listing does not include the arise from running a check.
Q: Exist any kind of command-line criteria offered when running Stinger?
A: Yes, the command-line criteria are shown by mosting likely to the assistance menu within Stinger.
Q: I ran Stinger and now have a Stinger.opt documents, what is that?
A: When Stinger runs it creates the Stinger.opt documents that conserves the current Stinger arrangement. When you run Stinger the next time, your previous configuration is used as long as the Stinger.opt documents is in the exact same directory as Stinger.
Q: Stinger upgraded components of VirusScan. Is this expected actions?
A: When the Rootkit scanning choice is picked within Stinger preferences –– VSCore documents (mfehidk.sys & & mferkdet.sys) on a McAfee endpoint will be updated to 15.x. These files are installed just if more recent than what'’ s on the system as well as is needed to scan for today’& rsquo; s generation of more recent rootkits. If the rootkit scanning choice is handicapped within Stinger –– the VSCore update will certainly not occur.
Q: Does Stinger execute rootkit scanning when deployed by means of ePO?
A: We’& rsquo; ve disabled rootkit scanning in the Stinger-ePO plan to restrict the automobile upgrade of VSCore components when an admin deploys Stinger to hundreds of devices. To allow rootkit scanning in ePO setting, please use the adhering to specifications while checking in the Stinger plan in ePO:
— reportpath=%temperature%– rootkit
For in-depth guidelines, please refer to KB 77981
Q: What versions of Windows are supported by Stinger?
A: Windows XP SP2, 2003 SP2, View SP1, 2008, 7, 8, 10, 2012, 2016, RS1, RS2, RS3, RS4, RS5, 19H1, 19H2. Additionally, Stinger requires the maker to have Web Traveler 8 or above.
Q: What are the requirements for Stinger to execute in a Win PE atmosphere?
A: While developing a custom Windows PE photo, add support for HTML Application components using the instructions offered in this walkthrough.
Q: Exactly how can I get support for Stinger?
A: Stinger is not a supported application. McAfee Labs makes no guarantees concerning this item.
Q: Exactly how can I include personalized detections to Stinger?
A: Stinger has the alternative where a customer can input upto 1000 MD5 hashes as a custom blacklist. Throughout a system scan, if any type of documents match the customized blacklisted hashes – the data will get identified and also erased. This attribute is supplied to assist power customers that have actually isolated a malware sample(s) for which no detection is available yet in the DAT documents or GTI Documents Online Reputation. To leverage this attribute:
- From the Stinger interface goto the Advanced–> > Blacklist tab.
- Input MD5 hashes to be spotted either via the Get in Hash switch or click the Load hash Checklist button to point to a text file having MD5 hashes to be included in the scan. SHA1, SHA 256 or various other hash kinds are in need of support.
- Throughout a check, documents that match the hash will have a detection name of Stinger!<
>. Full dat repair service is used on the discovered file.
- Files that are digitally signed using a valid certificate or those hashes which are already marked as tidy in GTI File Reputation will not be detected as part of the custom blacklist. This is a security attribute to stop individuals from mistakenly deleting documents.
Q: Just how can run Stinger without the Genuine Protect part obtaining set up?
A: The Stinger-ePO plan does not carry out Genuine Protect. In order to run Stinger without Real Protect obtaining set up, carry out Stinger.exe